2014/01/09

Sugar in the morning, sugar in the evening



BOYS WILL BE BOYS: Max (5) and Nicho (7) are mostly all over eachother fighting when I'm trying to wake up in the morning. What seems like high suger levels in my body doesn't exactly make things easier when I'm in a hurry to get them ready for school.

I swear, sometimes I’m only seconds from exploding in the morning before the kids are off to school and kindergarden. 

Even though I’m mostly prepared with clean clothes and foods made ready the night before (yes, we have to bring our own food to school in Norway), it’s like the boys always find something to complain about. And complaining from the kiddos in the morning can ruin hours of my day.

I’m bright enough to know that it probably has nothing to do with the kids – more all to do with me.

So as a journalist always seeking answers I read an article just before Christmas about high levels of glucose in the body in the morning. It was supposed to be caused by a late evening meal.

I stopped having the leftovers from dinner before sleep, but it hasn’t been better. 

Yesterday I totally flipped over a trifle and last night I was on Google again searching for answers.

Turned out I could be in the early stages of type 2 diabetes??? (Hope not!)

An article on diabeticlivingonline.com reads like this:

Out-of-Control Blood Sugar During Sleep


For people in the early years of type 2 diabetes, the hormones that control blood sugar can particularly go awry. 

Here's what happens during sleep to a person with type 2 diabetes:


"Overnight, the liver and muscles get the message from excess glucagon to ramp up the glucose supply because the person is sleeping, not eating," says Marty Irons, R.Ph., CDE.


"There is not enough GLP-1, insulin, or amylin hormones to stem the tide of excess glucose from the liver and muscles, essentially throwing this feedback loop out of whack."


High fasting blood sugar levels, particularly in the earlier years of type 2 diabetes, result from this hormonal imbalance. Evening meals and snacks may get the blame for morning highs, but hormones are the likely cause.

I think I need to talk to my MD.

No comments:

Post a Comment